About Me

"Hey Tiny." "Hey Biggs." "Are you my buddy?" "Yep, I'll always be your buddy."... We're just two fisch in a big sea, created by a big God, taking on life together.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Presentation on N.O.W.


I found the presentation done on the National Organization for Women, or NOW, social movement to be particularly interesting. When I think of feminism as a movement, I often think of it in past tense because it is not a movement I often hear about in the mainstream news. I usually think of the fight for women’s right to vote and the struggle of women breaking in to the workforce as the feminist movement, but do not see it existing today. With the so called “third wave” of NOW, it is easier to put the present day action taking place into perspective. As we have learned in our class this semester, there is often much work going on under the radar that is not seen by the public eye. Just because I do not hear of large NOW protests going on, does not mean the feminist movement is a movement of the past.

I think that as more women achieve high levels of education, the power of women will increase and give more dominance to movements such as NOW. With educated women graduating school and seeking jobs, some of the top positions of power will be held by women. I think we will begin to see more action from feminist movements as the years go on, and roles of women in history will continue to increase and impact our society.

No comments: